- M.S., Architecture, Waseda University
- B.S., Architecture, Waseda University
- International Treaties
- “iPS Cell Technology Spurs Biological Patenting in Japan,” World Intellectual Property Review, 2013
- “An Important Market: Software Patenting in Japan,” World Intellectual Property Review, September/October 2012
- “Effective Ways to Obtain Japanese Patents,” World Intellectual Property Review, September/October 2011
- “Japan’s New Patent Rules,” Managing Intellectual Property, February 2010
- Japan Patent Attorneys Association (JPAA)
- Associaion Internationale pour la Protections de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI)
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Fédération Internationale de Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI)
Traveling, Art, Music, Swimming, Skiing
Mr. Sugimura is the President of our firm. As an experienced Japanese patent attorney and litigator specializing in mechanics and architectural engineering, he is actively involved in IP organizations, such as AIPPI, APAA, FICPI, INTA, and the JPAA. He currently serves as a member of the board of FICPI-Japan and on JPAA’s International Activities Center subcommittee. Mr. Sugimura has authored several articles on Japanese IP practice in international IP magazines. His writings focus on new changes and trends in Japanese IP practice, general differences between Japanese IP practice and IP practices in the US and Europe, and industry specific opportunities within the Japanese IP market.
Prior to assuming his position as President of SUGIMURA International Patent & Trademark Attorneys, Mr. Sugimura was a professional architect for Lord Norman Foster in London and a head architect in the construction of the HSBC Headquarters in Hong Kong, a leading example of high-tech architecture. He brings the international exposure, bold vision, and attention to detail from his architecture background to enrich SUGIMURA’s dedicated attention to the firm’s international clients.